Re: 25-clean-targets.patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 25-clean-targets.patch
Date: 07 Feb 2001 22:29:27 -0700

>> What you don't want to do is inline the actual rules.

Akim> That's indeed what I was referring to.  Well, I think.  What
Akim> were you thinking about?  I did not think about parallel
Akim> builds...  The transformation above is what is now implemented.
Akim> In fact, what I presented in the previous, both are implemented,
Akim> it just depends on the input you give it.

I don't understand.  How are both of them implemented?

I think we should transform this:

    clean: foo
    clean: bar

into

    clean: foo bar

... and not inline the rules from `foo' and `bar' under `clean'.

That way we preserve parallel builds (I admit that these are unlikely
for `clean' -- but I imagine we're planning to use this same machinery
elsewhere) as well as `make -k'.

Akim>   local $_ = "sub3\n";

Akim> so how about using $_ with caution?  Just tell me your preference.

My rule has been to try to use $_ only when it is obviously safe.  I
try not to assume it is preserved across function calls.  So I think
it is fine in something like &basename or &flatten, but not in a big
loop in some function that isn't a `leaf'.

Tom