Re: [revised patch 1/1] support AC_SUBST'able automake rules

From: Michael Bletzinger
Subject: Re: [revised patch 1/1] support AC_SUBST'able automake rules
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 10:48:38 -0600

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Lars> I believe everything should be in order (I believe I filled out
> Lars> for Automake and maybe even Libtool when I did it for Autoconf).
>
> Yeah, I found the info.
>
> Lars> Anyways, the patch should be reworked to use a &canonicalize()
> Lars> sub as Akim suggested
>
> I agree.
>
> Lars> What I'm really wondering about is whether you accept the
> Lars> semantics of the patch; allowing AC_SUBSTS in for instance
> Lars> library names...
>
> I understand the need to be able to rename programs and libraries.
> I've had other requests for that.
>
> So the question is whether this is how we want to do it.
>
> What are other ways?  One other way would be to support the name as an
> attribute of the object:
>
>     bin_PROGRAMS = foo
>
>     foo_SOURCES = ...
>     foo_NAME = @what-foo-really-is@
>
> Is this more confusing?  Or less?
>
> Over time I've come to dislike arbitrary @FOO@ substitutions, because
> they limit the amount of knowledge automake has about what is going
> on.  In this case it might not be so bad.
>
> Tom

The thing is, that since every AC_SUBST'd variable is transformed into a
make variable, you can already specify all sorts of derived stuff using
make variables in Makefile.am's with the CVS automake. For example:

in the configure.in

AC_SUBST(arch)
AC_SUBST(nonthreaded)
AC_SUBST(nonthreaded_sources)

and in the Makefile.am

foo_SOURCES = foo.c fee_$(arch).c

lib_LTLIBRARIES = libfoo_$(nonthreaded).la

libfoo___nonthreaded__la_SOURCES = foo.c $(nonthreaded_sources)

EXT_DIST = $(threaded_sources)

So I'm not sure that doing autoconf substitution really adds anything.
I took a stab at updating the documentation to explain this concept and
its limitation but I'm having trouble figuring out the meaning of the
texinfo tags.

        Michael

Michael Bletzinger      Software Developer, Alliance Computational
address@hidden  Environment & Security
217 265 5137            NCSA