Re: 37-unify-handle-dist.patch

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: 37-unify-handle-dist.patch
Date: 21 Feb 2001 09:31:26 +0100

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> BTW it is hard to read big rearrangement patches.

Agreed.

> It is made worse because sometimes they include actual code changes
> as well.  For instance this patch wasn't just a rearrangement, it
> included semantic differences in file_contents.

That's right, I apologize.  It is really related to the way I hack
automake.  I don't understand it too well, and often have to read many
different sites before understanding some chunks.  This is why
although I do make efforts to split my patches as much as possible,
they sometimes go wild.

> I'd prefer to see rearrangements separate from semantic changes.  Then
> hopefully I can approve rearrangements without trying to read them in
> detail.

In the present case anyway it couldn't be just rearrangement, as
merging two routines together imply some tuning (mostly alpha
conversion :).