Re: automake asks for a "depcomp" file

From: Raja R Harinath
Subject: Re: automake asks for a "depcomp" file
Date: 21 Feb 2001 10:09:58 -0600

Hi,

Stephen Torri <address@hidden> writes:
> Running automake (CVS compiled) against my configure.in causes the
> message "automake: configure.in: required file `master/depcomp' not found.
> There is no mention to a file called "depcomp" in configure.in or
> master/Makefile.am. In the master/Makefile.in there is mention to it:
>
> depcomp = $(SHELL) $(top_srcdir)/depcomp.
>
> What is the purpose of this file?

Copy the file from the automake distribution or from
$prefix/share/automake into the top directory of your source tree (the
message is buggy).

The 'depcomp' program is used for automatic dependency generation
support.  Previous versions of automake supported dependency
generation with GNU make, GCC, and only by the "maintainer".  With
'depcomp', automake now supports dependency generation with more
'make's, more compilers, and at the "user" site.

- Hari
--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ address@hidden