Re: Optimizing Makefiles

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Optimizing Makefiles
Date: 21 Feb 2001 15:59:58 -0700

>>>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

Akim> What is the general policy wrt `optimizations' in automake vs
Akim> leaving some job to make?

Let make do it.

Seriously, I've never done any performance measurements to see how or
if we could speed up generated Makefiles.  If we did do this then I'd
prefer to generate a fast Makefile at the expense of automake's
runtime.  make will be run many more times than automake, even for
people modifying Makefile.am.

Akim>           if ($relative_dir eq '.')
Akim>           {
Akim>               push (@files, 'acconfig.h');
Akim>           }
Akim>           else
Akim>           {
Akim>               push (@files, '$(top_srcdir)/acconfig.h');
Akim>                   }

I don't recall this precise case, but sometimes these changes are in
response to a particular bug report.

Do you have a way you want to change this code?  I don't think we can
use VPATH here.  And, unfortunately, not all make implementations like
`./acconfig.h' (or at least, so ISTR).

Tom