Re: PATCH: patsubst support

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: PATCH: patsubst support
Date: 22 Feb 2001 23:19:01 -0700

>> -            ($from = $2) =~ s/(\W)/\\$1/g;
>> +            ($from = $2) =~ s/(\W)/$1/g;

Pavel> I don't understrand this. This change will affect the
Pavel> traditional rules as well. It should probably be a separate
Pavel> patch if it fixes a separate issue.  You may even need a test
Pavel> case.

I agree.  I don't follow this change either.  Unfortunately neither do
I follow the original code :-(.  So if you know what it does feel free
to add a comment explaining it ...

Pavel>                  &am_error ("\`$from' cannot be expanded");

Pavel> Note that am_error() doesn't stop the execution, but causes
Pavel> automake to exit with code 1.

In this case it is probably better to use &am_line_error.  The first
argument to &am_line_error can be either a variable name or a line
number.  If it is a variable name the automake will pick the correct
line number.

Pavel> How about this:
Pavel> join(" ", @curval)

To pick a nit, we usually use single quotes and a space before open
parens:

    join (' ', @curval)

Pavel> The Automake code should be of the highest quality.

Hah, hah!  Good one!  :-)

Tom