Re: 58-var-vs-target.patch

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: 58-var-vs-target.patch
Date: 23 Feb 2001 19:47:07 +0100

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> Akim> In fact, I've had to finish the job, because the following test
> Akim> was falling:
>
> Akim>     cat > Makefile.am << 'END'
> Akim>     bin_PROGRAMS = consud
> Akim>     ## Note next line is target, not variable.
> Akim>     consud_SOURCES: consud.c
> Akim>     END
>
> Akim> Why did it in spite of the fact that my change was only making
> Akim> automake complain when a non exisiting variable appears to exist
> Akim> as a target?
>
> It might be that this code was added specifically because people would
> write the above, which is wrong, and not get any message.  ISTR at
> least one bug report about that.
>
> I haven't read the patch yet.

The test suite, once all the patches applied, is happy.  What I meant
is that this patch (doing the right thing) makes the test suite fail
because some other parts of Automake were doing it wrong (which was
known).  I was just surprised that yet the buggy parts were colliding
with the sane ones, hence I could not delay the second part of the
job, which is the following patch.