Re: subdirs.am and $(RECURSIVE_TARGETS)

From: Derek R. Price
Subject: Re: subdirs.am and $(RECURSIVE_TARGETS)
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 13:36:59 -0500

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Akim> I wonder why we have a hard coded list list this in subdirs.am:
> Akim> [ ... -recursive targets ... ]
>
> Historical reasons only, ie, I never thought of it.
>
> Akim> Not only to I find this more pleasant, but most importantly it's
> Akim> a win for Automake (we can have more modular *.am files which
> Akim> register their own recursive targets), and it's a win for users
> Akim> who can += on RECURSIVE_TARGETS.
>
> In the not-too-distant past, you couldn't `+=' an internally-defined
> variable.

I feel the need to point out that the -recursive portions of the targets
in the RECURSIVE_TARGETS macro seem somewhat redundant since users would
be required to end any new targets they wished to add to
RECURSIVE_TARGETS with the same string due to the way recursive targets
are defined.

i.e. a user should be able to add

    RECURSIVE_TARGETS += mytarget

thus implicitly defining mytarget & mytarget-recursive, and mytarget
would call mytarget-local, mytarget-recursive, & mytarget-hook as
appropriate.

Of course I don't have my head nearly deep enough in those implementation
details at the moment to even start detailing how I would code the above.

Derek

--
Derek Price                      CVS Solutions Architect ( http://CVSHome.org )
mailto:address@hidden     OpenAvenue ( http://OpenAvenue.com )