Re: Cleanup 4/4: make install-strip in cross-compilation environments

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Cleanup 4/4: make install-strip in cross-compilation environments
Date: 25 Feb 2001 19:19:43 -0700

Tom> I think relying on a subdir `make' invocation expanding
Tom> `INSTALL_PROGRAM' correctly is not too likely to work.

adl> I still don't and would really like to get more feedback on this.
adl> The only workaround I can think off is to select the install
adl> program at run time.

I think what is in there now ought to work.
Can you test it?

adl> Isn't there an issue with `cd $_am_dirpart' when `$install_sh'
adl> is defined as `${am_missing_run}${ac_auxdir}/install-sh'?

Hmm.  install_sh should never be defined to use missing.  That would
be a bug, since missing doesn't claim to be able to handle `install'.

adl> I think there is.  Moreover I don't understand why the
adl> computation of `CDPATH=: && cd $_am_dirpart && pwd` is delayed
adl> to install-time since $_am_dirpart is fixed at configure-time.
adl> Or am I missing something?

We run it at install time because _am_dirpart might be relative.  It
is best if we can delay changing the path into an absolute one as long
as possible.

Tom