Re: `make dist' with srcdir != builddir

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: `make dist' with srcdir != builddir
Date: 27 Feb 2001 00:46:32 -0700

>>>>> "adl" == Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden> writes:

adl> This can be easily fixed by changing the distdir code to look for
adl> files in the builddir first and failling back to look in the
adl> srcdir if needed.  But maybe this is not the right fix; maybe
adl> bison should not output its parsers in the builddir but in the
adl> srcdir instead (actually, this is what the GNU Standards ask
adl> for).

I'm checking in your test case.

The bison output issue is a more complicated than you might expect.

GNU Standards requires bison output files to be in srcdir.  However,
at least historically, some people don't like this.  That's why the
rules are written the way they are -- they let us put the output in
the srcdir or the build dir depending on how things are set up.

I think what we want is for the positioning of the .c file not to
matter for the developer, but for the file to end up in the
distribution made by `make dist'.

I'll investigate this at some point before 1.4f.

Tom