Re: 120-language-Name.patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 120-language-Name.patch
Date: 05 May 2001 17:42:46 -0600

>>>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

Akim>   * automake.in (Language): Add attributes `Name' and `config_vars'.
Akim>   (&finish): Work properly if there is no _finish.
Akim>   (Automake): Register language Names and AC_SUBST dependencies.
Akim>   Register Fortran 77 variables upon which ratfor and ppf77 depend.
Akim>   (&handle_languages): Once per language, invoke
Akim>   `define_linker_variables', and check its config_vars.
Akim>   (&lang_cxx_finish, &lang_f77_finish, &lang_objc_finish)
Akim>   (&lang_java_finish): Remove.
Akim>   (&lang_ppf77_finish, &lang_ratfor_finish): Adjust.

Ok.

Tom> I dislike this.  This is a move away from encapsulation.  The
Tom> objects, not the callers, ought to know what they are up to.

Akim> I don't understand too well.  This is implemented in the
Akim> classes, not by the callers themselves.  I.e., this code is in
Akim> Language, not Automake.

Ok.  I think I just meant that when languages are actual objects, the
base language should have an empty finish method so that we don't have
to conditionalize on the nonexistence of the method.

Tom