Re: Automake release

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Automake release
Date: 06 May 2001 17:38:49 -0600

>>>>> "Gary" == Gary V Vaughan <address@hidden> writes:

Gary> Would you be agreeable to granting me (at least temporary) CVS
Gary> write access so that I can do this?

Sure.  I've had several requests for this recently.

One question is what to name the release.  This is more of a problem
than you might think.

`1.4.1' is an alpha release by our rules.
But I don't want it to be `1.5'.
Maybe we'll have to change the rules.
I've been meaning to change them anyway so that modified versions can
be given a name like `1.4-foobar'.

Gary> I guess that it might be advantageous to have a call for
Gary> bugfixes email incase there are any other pet bugfixes people
Gary> might like backported to a stable release (the automake
Gary> --add-missing copy failed warning bug springs to mind here)...

I think there are 3:

* the copy bug you mention
* the missing `d' bug in `make dist'
* the missing `$' bug in texinfos.am

These three seem to be reported frequently.
Check the recent bug-automake archives to see the last two patches.
The `d' patch is reported a lot -- more than once a month.

Tom