A better patch(1)

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: A better patch(1)
Date: 08 May 2001 14:43:43 +0200

Does anybody know something better than patch(1) when a patch fails?
I often have to struggle hard to understand why a patch does not
apply, patch(1) just rejects it.

For instance one of my patches produced a

~/src/am % wc automake.in.rej                                    nostromo 14:42
    277    1102    7161 automake.in.rej

solely because there was a

        $foo = '0'

in the patch which is now

        $foo = 0

in automake.in.

Having to compare the .rej and the .orig to understand what goes wrong
is a real PITA.  Is there any tool which would make my life easier on
this point?