Re: Warning fix for automake on CVS Libtool

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Warning fix for automake on CVS Libtool
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 12:25:53 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, Akim!

> | Don't you know that Automake has its
> | documentation in the top-level directory?
>
> I would like to move the documentation into doc/ in Automake.  OK with
> that?  Same problem as for *.am files, Tom, we need to move them on
> the CVS server if we want to keep the history.

Un-flattenning Automake is probably a good idea, but the history is a
serious concern, especially considering that the output of "cvs annotate"
will be affected.

I would do everything as the cvs manual suggests, i.e. "cvs add" and "cvs
remove". I'd rather tolerate some inconvenience than mess with the
"historical truth", i.e. with the history of the project as a whole.

But if you value history of individual files more than that of the project
I suggest (as my second best preference) copying those files in the
repository and then removing the old files using "cvs remove". This way,
the historic versions will have extra files in the subdirs but "make" will
not descent into them and neither will "make dist".

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin