Re: Deleting Makefile.in in maintainer-clean

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Deleting Makefile.in in maintainer-clean
Date: 16 May 2001 21:19:36 -0600

>>>>> "Reinhard" == Reinhard Müller <address@hidden> writes:

Reinhard> I am just reading the GNU coding standards (chapter 7.2.5 -
Reinhard> Standard Make Targets) and I see that it's recommended that
Reinhard> maintainer-clean should not delete files that are necessary
Reinhard> to run configure.

Thanks.  I forgot all about this.

Reinhard> So I actually come to the conclusion that automake behaves
Reinhard> correctly.

Automake already deleted Makefile.in, but that was wrong.
And last night I changed it to delete more.

However I agree with you about what the GNU Coding Standards say.  To
that end, I've reverted last night's change, removed the deletion of
Makefile.in, and added a comment in the right place so that we won't
forget and go through this again next year.

Tom