Re: aclocal doesn't check AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS (VERSION)

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: aclocal doesn't check AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS (VERSION)
Date: 22 May 2001 11:32:23 +0200

Tom> We're planning to get rid of aclocal in the future.  I forget
Tom> exactly what form that plan takes.  Akim knows.

First of all, the responsibility will move to Autoconf, aclocal has
nothing to do with Automake.

The main plan is to get rid of aclocal.m4 too, and to include, at the
M4 level, all the m4/*.m4 files which are needed.  This is doable, we
actually have a proto since months.

Wrt this actual problem, I'm afraid there will always have some
problems due to incorrectly synchronized sets of tools :(

In the future Automake will read the traces.  We perfectly can imagine
a macro to declare an Automake requirement, and automake checking this
requirement.

Conversely, hm...  I dunno.