Re: automake 1.4g: About `make install-strip'

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: automake 1.4g: About `make install-strip'
Date: 23 May 2001 23:54:45 -0600

>>>>> "Maciej" == Maciej W Rozycki <address@hidden> writes:

Maciej>  I'm doing cross-compiles regularly and I've never had a
Maciej> problem with `make install-strip' using install from
Maciej> fileutils.  The point is cross-tools, strip included, get
Maciej> installed in ${prefix}/${target_alias}/bin, aka tooldir.  It's
Maciej> desireable to have the tooldir early in the PATH environment
Maciej> variable during builds as not all programs make use of
Maciej> autoconf and it's not always easy to override names of all
Maciej> cross-tools used during builds.

This is possible, but we don't recommend it.  Instead we try to
approach cross builds the "autoconf way": we assume that configure
will use things like AC_CHECK_TOOL, etc.

Maciej>  Wouldn't it be feasible to build a sample program and check
Maciej> if it can be installed with stripping by install at the
Maciej> configuration stage?  I might cook a patch if so.

Post-1.5 we are just going to use AC_CHECK_TOOL(STRIP, strip).  Before
that we rely on the configure.in writer -- because with autoconf 2.13
that person is responsible for using AC_CHECK_TOOL when appropriate.

Tom