Re: automake 1.4g: About `make install-strip'

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Subject: Re: automake 1.4g: About `make install-strip'
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:43:04 +0200 (MET DST)

On 23 May 2001, Tom Tromey wrote:

> This is possible, but we don't recommend it.  Instead we try to
> approach cross builds the "autoconf way": we assume that configure
> will use things like AC_CHECK_TOOL, etc.

 Note that I'm writing of a performance.  Install-sh is a serious
performance hit for non-trivial installs.

> Post-1.5 we are just going to use AC_CHECK_TOOL(STRIP, strip).  Before
> that we rely on the configure.in writer -- because with autoconf 2.13
> that person is responsible for using AC_CHECK_TOOL when appropriate.

 You are writing of implementation and I am writing of policy.  It might
be feasible to teach install how to use other strips, though.  What do you
think?

 Note that autoconf 2.13 isn't an issue anymore, I think.  Version 2.50 is
already released.

+        e-mail: address@hidden, PGP key available        +