Libraries with sources in subdirectories?

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Libraries with sources in subdirectories?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 17:14:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, I had a question/complaint that I hope to bounce off the Automake gurus.

In my project, I am building a library libfoo, using automake.  The
sources for libfoo are in a src/ directory, and automake works fine.
However, libfoo has *many* source files, and I would like to put some of
them in a subdirectory src/bar.  How do I do this in automake?

In src/Makefile.am, putting lib_foo_la_SOURCES = bar/baz.c, etcetera, does
not seem to be supported.  Is there, or will there be at some point, a
proper way of going about this sort of thing?  Or at least a moderately
clean hack?  =)

Thanks for any tips!

Cordially,
Steven G. Johnson