Re: AS and ASFLAGS

From: Richard Boulton
Subject: Re: AS and ASFLAGS
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 13:21:46 +0100

The query has come up on the automake list (okay, I raised it ;) ) about
how to define AS and ASFLAGS.  Until recently automake has ignored this
issue, and just used CC for AS and CFLAGS for ASFLAGS.  CVS automake now
uses these variables, so defining them is going to become an issue for many
people in the future, I suspect.

I've currently got, in my Makefile.am:

AS="$CC"
AC_SUBST(AS)
AC_SUBST(ASFLAGS)

Which works, but it a little unsatisfactory.  What would be ideal is for
autoconf to have macros to do this work: AC_PROG_AS would seem the obvious
name.

Is there any prospect of such a macro being created in the near future.
I would supply a patch, but I have no idea how to define AS appropriately:
the definition I've used seems an inappropriate hack.