Re: automake 1.4 : --copy problem?

From: David Lee
Subject: Re: automake 1.4 : --copy problem?
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:34:52 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

> This is a long standing bug that has been fixed in release versions since
> automake-1.4-p1.  You can always find the latest automake release at
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/automake/ or any of the gnu mirrors.

Many thanks for your reply, which is appreciated.

I realise this bug won't affect end-users, who won't see automake.  But
some of the developers are (understandably) a little concerned about the
message.  They are working on "fixed" systems; upgrade to later versions
of automake may be impractical (unless of "strategic" importance).

So could you confirm:

1. that this "bug" is basically usually harmless (indeed, is expected);
2. the action (copying those files into place) is actually successful;
3. its success can be confirmed by repeating the command, which should
   produce no errors.

Might you have some sort of statement in existence that we could beg,
steal or borrow, to reassure developers on our project?

Many thanks again.

<context-reminder>

> On Monday 25 June 2001  6:07 pm, David Lee wrote:
> > Background: we are trying to "autoconfiscate" the "linux-ha" package (for
> > high availability work).
> >
> > With automake 1.4, I try
> >    automake --foreign --add-missing --copy
> >
> > and get:
> >
> >    automake: configure.in: installing `./install-sh'
> >        error while copying
> >
> >    automake: configure.in: installing `./mkinstalldirs'
> >        error while copying
> >
> >    automake: configure.in: installing `./missing'
> >        error while copying
> >
> > Despite these alarming-looking errors, these three copied files still end
> > up in place OK: repeating the same command is then OK.

</context-reminder>