automake usage

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: automake usage
Date: 29 Jun 2001 12:28:55 -0600

Today I wrote a dumb little script to estimate how often automake is
used.  The script searches a set of SRPM files for `configure.in' and
`Makefile.am' files, and generates a report showing how many packages
use autoconf and how many use automake.

Then I ran this script on all the SRPMs in Red Hat Linux 6.2 (the most
recent source CD I have conveniently lying around right now).

There were 503 packages.
Of these, 229 use autoconf (i.e., have a "configure.in" file --
    error is likely to be small)
125 packages use automake (i.e., have a "Makefile.am" file)

So automake is in use by about 55% of all the packages using autoconf.
I wonder if that percentage has changed between 6.2 and now.

I don't know if this is interesting, but now we know it :-)

Tom