RE: System configuration during install

From: Lawrence, David (STEI)
Subject: RE: System configuration during install
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 07:37:16 -0700

Tom,

My understanding of libtool is that it links shared libraries with an
embedded pathname to where they are located.  The, when an executable or
other library links to the shared library linked with -rpath, the pathname
for the shared library is embedded in the output file.  At least that's the
conclusion I drew from page 114 in a sidebar entitled "Why use -rpath."

I haven't used DESTDIR inside of an RPM.  But if I then move the files into
another location, they are supposed to be relinked to get the -rpath
updated.  I haven't played with this capability yet, but it does seem to
suggest you need to keep more of your source code around than a binary RPM
would deliver.  Maybe the relink just updates the embedded pathname.
Perhaps someone on this list knows?

David G. Lawrence
Smart Technology Enablers, Inc.
1121 Rancho Drive