Re: automake/209: compiling asm sources with the development version of

From: Richard Boulton
Subject: Re: automake/209: compiling asm sources with the development version of automake fails
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:06:41 +0100

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 11:46:24PM -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:
> James> I tried building a package (gtk+) that included some assembler
> James> files with cvs HEAD automake (using autoconf-2.13).  It failed
> James> due to AS and ASFLAGS not being defined.  I have no idea where
> James> these variables are supposed to be defined.
> Good point.

I came against this problem a bit over a month ago - see the relevant
mailing list messages from the time:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2001-05/msg00455.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2001-05/msg00456.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2001-06/msg00002.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2001-06/msg00004.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/autoconf/2001-06/msg00004.html

The upshot was that AS and ASFLAGS need to be documented in the automake
manual, and autoconf needs to have a macro to define these flags.
In the meantime, putting

AS="$CC"
AC_SUBST(AS)
AC_SUBST(ASFLAGS)

in configure.ac works for me, but is "basically broken". ;-)

> One fix would be to introduce such a macro.
> That would be easy (though we're trying to wean ourselves from new
> macros that aren't in autoconf).
So the macro should go in autoconf...

--
Richard