Re: "make dist" calls "automake" ??

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: "make dist" calls "automake" ??
Date: 20 Jul 2001 10:11:20 -0600

>>>>> "Guido" == Guido Draheim <address@hidden> writes:

Guido> Apart from that other combination, the call to automake happens
Guido> to be encoded directly into the "distdir" target, reading

Guido> distdir: $(DISTFILES)
Guido>           && $(AUTOMAKE) --include-deps --build-dir=$$here
--srcdir-name=$(top_srcdir) --output-dir=$$t

Guido> why is that? the original Makefile.in is not good enough for
Guido> distribution?

This is an artifact of the 1.4 automatic dependency tracking
implementation.  We re-run automake at dist time so that we can write
the dependencies into the generated Makefile.in.

This is different in 1.5.

Tom