Re: "make dist" calls "automake" ??

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: "make dist" calls "automake" ??
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 18:20:22 +0200

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Guido> Apart from that other combination, the call to automake happens
> Guido> to be encoded directly into the "distdir" target, reading
>
> Guido> distdir: $(DISTFILES)
> Guido>           && $(AUTOMAKE) --include-deps --build-dir=$$here
> --srcdir-name=$(top_srcdir) --output-dir=$$t
>
> Guido> why is that? the original Makefile.in is not good enough for
> Guido> distribution?
>
> This is an artifact of the 1.4 automatic dependency tracking
> implementation.  We re-run automake at dist time so that we can write
> the dependencies into the generated Makefile.in.
>
> This is different in 1.5.

Well, Tom, isn't it that most make-dependencies are dependent on
the chosen `configure` options? Some dependencies are invariant,
but they are generated anway if `automake` is called without
include-deps, isn't it? The whole include-deps feels pretty
pointless and doomed to fail - atleast in system setups quite
like mine which I feel not so uncommon amongst automake-ml readers.

Well, I'll see to adapt my code but hopefully it does not hit
too many other people while waiting to see that 1.5 can hold
what it is said to promise.

cheers,
-- guido