Re: automake/209: compiling asm sources with the development version of

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: automake/209: compiling asm sources with the development version of automake fails
Date: 21 Jul 2001 12:54:13 -0600

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard Boulton <address@hidden> writes:

Richard> The upshot was that AS and ASFLAGS need to be documented in
Richard> the automake manual, and autoconf needs to have a macro to
Richard> define these flags.  In the meantime, putting
Richard> AS="$CC"
Richard> AC_SUBST(AS)
Richard> AC_SUBST(ASFLAGS)
Richard> in configure.ac works for me, but is "basically broken". ;-)

I'm going to introduce AM_PROG_AS which will do something
approximately like the above.  I'll also document AS and ASFLAGS.

>> One fix would be to introduce such a macro.
>> That would be easy (though we're trying to wean ourselves from new
>> macros that aren't in autoconf).

Richard> So the macro should go in autoconf...

We can't rely on the new autoconf yet.
And even if we could this patch wouldn't go in in time.

In the future we'll have to be more careful about synchronizing
releases.

Tom