Re: Plan for single Makefile

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: Plan for single Makefile
Date: 28 Jul 2001 11:58:55 +1000

On 28 Jul 2001 02:39:43 +0100, Lars Hecking wrote:

> > I'm sure there are other ways to implement.  More thought about the
> > alternatives is needed.
>
>  Speeding up the build rocess is fine. But, what if i just want to
>  cd into a project's subdir and do a make there? Without a Makefile?
>  Would the make tool (or an adapted version of it) then automatically
>  check the parent dir for the Makefile? The parent's parent dir if none
>  is found? What if, for some obscure reason, a Makefile found somewhere
>  "upstairs" has no relation to the project you're working on?

What about generating Makefiles for each directory as well - ones that
are not referenced by the top makefile?

or better yet...

top_src
\1a
\1a\2a
\1a\2b

in top_src a "single-makefile" that covers all the directories
in 1a a "single-makefile" that covers 1a and 2a and 2b
in 2a a standard automake makefile
in 2b a standard automake makefile.

Make in 2a will behave the way it does today, just building whats in
that dir and any dependencies, make in 1a will do a single-makefile
build of 1a and it's subdirs.

Rob