Re: AM_PATH_LISPDIR

From: Lars Hecking
Subject: Re: AM_PATH_LISPDIR
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 12:35:02 +0100

Tom Tromey writes:

> Felix> In configure, AM_PATH_LISPDIR reports that emacs in in /usr/bin/emacs,
> Felix> and "where .elc files should go" is $(prefix)/share/emacs/site-lisp.
> Felix> (which is /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp in my case).
>
> Felix> So it uses the prefix of the package.
> Felix> Shouldn't it use the prefix of the emacs found ?
>
> My recollection is that we decided that, by default, Automake should
> not install a file somewhere other than underneath $prefix.
>
> The person building the package can use --with-lispdir to redirect the
> files if that is what is appropriate for his system.
>
> This is just what I remembe.  Alexandre Oliva might know the answer
> for real.  He rewrote most of lispdir.m4 (in 1999.  If he's like me
> that info is long gone).

 Hhm, I was a leetle involved, too :-)

 The basic idea was indeed Alexandre's IIRC. Extracting the prefix from
 the emacs executable wouldn't always work, eg. in the case of symlinks.
 Thus we simply ask emacs where lisp files are installed.

 For reference: search the 1999 list archive for AC_PREFIX_PROGRAM in
 the subject (early April). The thread started over on the autoconf list.