Re: Automake 1.4j: Release Candidate

From: Richard Boulton
Subject: Re: Automake 1.4j: Release Candidate
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 12:33:37 +0100

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 06:23:51PM -0500, Robert Boehne wrote:
> If it helps, CVS Automake as of 12 days ago seems to work properly
> in this case.

In that case, it's probably Tom Tromey's "(file_contents_internal): Only
define rule if rule_define allows us to." that caused it to break.  Not
that that fix was wrong, but that it didn't do enough.  I suspect you were
having the rule defined multiple times in some situations before that
change.

Okay, here's a patch.  I would have submitted it sooner, but for a network
outage.  It seems a little clunky to me, but I can't see a neater way to
solve this.

The gist of it is that if a user defines a rule to conditionally override
an automake generated rule, automake must still define the rule for all the
conditions for which it hasn't already been defined.  Therefore, for a rule
which is conditionally defined by the user, I calculate the list of
conditions for which it is not conditionally defined, and define the rule
for each of these.

I added a couple more tests to check this behaviour.

--
Richard