"Correct" way of implementing common files?

From: hugo
Subject: "Correct" way of implementing common files?
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 18:00:38 +0100

   Hi,

   I'm new here... Apologies if this is an FAQ, but I can't find
anything which says it is.

   What is the "right" (or best) way of implementing common files? I
have a project with several sub-directories; these subdirs have a
number of source files in common, which should rightly be placed in a
subdir of their own. How do I persuade automake to make the .o files
in the "common" directory, and to link with those files in each of the
other sub-directories?

   Thanks,
   Hugo.

--