Re: can I suppress "invalid unused variable name"?

From: Steve M. Robbins
Subject: Re: can I suppress "invalid unused variable name"?
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 12:49:39 -0400

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 06:15:27PM +0200, Tim Van Holder wrote:
> This is really an automake issue,

Err, yes of course it is; I mistyped the address. :-/

> so I'm sending it there.

Thanks.

However, you sent to bug-automake.  I'm re-sending to the automake
discussion list, since (a) I'm not sure it is a bug, and (b) someone
in the wider audience may know a workaround.

-Steve

------------------------- original query ------------------------------

Hi,

I am working with a library (CGAL) that is not autoconfigured, but has
its own system that generates a makefile fragment with important make
variables defined.  In particular, it defines CGAL_LDFLAGS.

In my Makefile.am, I use

        include $(CGAL_MAKEFILE)
        LDADD = ... $(CGAL_LDFLAGS) ...

and automake complains:

        Makefile.am: invalid unused variable name: `CGAL_LDFLAGS'

[Incidentally, there used to be a line number attached to this diagnostic,
but that suddenly stopped. (??)]

Since automake does generate the correct output Makefile.in, I can
live with seeing this message all the time.  However, I am concerned
that this "warning" may change to an error in the future, and my
builds will suddenly break.  Thus I wonder: what is the automake-blessed
way to deal with including makefile fragments that define variables
that automake considers its own?

I used to be able to suppress this behaviour by a dummy assign to
CGAL_LDFLAGS (before including CGAL_MAKEFILE, of course!).  But that
trick has stopped working.

Thanks,
-Steve

--