Re: automake strips GNU make "else/endif" conditionals

From: Peter J. Farley III
Subject: Re: automake strips GNU make "else/endif" conditionals
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 09:12:25 -0400

At 12:14 PM 8/7/01 +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:
<Snipped>
>My own opinion, FWIW, is that Automake should stop using the same
>syntax as Make, and move to %, which is now its signature.
>
>%if
>
>%else
>
>%endif
>
>%include

And if automake ever has to support PL/1 (I know, I know, it's a far-fetched idea, but still, it's *possible*...:), how does it handle PL/1 macro language (all prefixed by %)?

>Of course there is the problem of backward compatibility.  I propose
>
>%verbatim
>%end verbatim

Hm-m-m. Well, that would be one way. Interesting idea, though I would have suggested "%endverbatim" without the whitespace.

>Peter, anyway, if I were you, I would copy what Jim does for the
>fileutils: i.e., use GNUmakefile for GNU Make extensions.  Indeed,
>that's a better way of leaving Automake do its job: enforcing
>portability.

That is always a possibility.  Thanks for the advice.

Peter J. Farley III (address@hidden)