Re: XXX_CFLAGS

From: Richard Boulton
Subject: Re: XXX_CFLAGS
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:27:47 +0100

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 09:44:15PM -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:
> Ralf> * Similarily, I would expect hello_c_o_CFLAGS to be applied to the
> Ralf> compilation of a single *.c/o's only.
>
> I had considered that feature, but there didn't seem to be a very big
> call for it -- most of the reports I had seen centered around the
> inability to compile two programs in different ways.  Since there were
> also design issues with this feature, I chose not to implement it at
> the time.

We needed to do this for gstreamer.  It's quite easy to make a convenience
library for just that object though, so I don't think this is a high
priority feature (would be nice to have eventually though).

(ie,
noinst_LTLIBRARIES=libhello.la
libhello_la_SOURCES=hello.c
libhello_la_CFLAGS=...
etc...
)

> For instance, I think it would be logical to have a way to say
> "programs A and B share these files (they are compiled the same way),
> while these files must be compiled differently (and maybe renamed)".
> I didn't think of that when I implemented this feature.

Again, this can be done with convenience libraries.

There's plenty of room for improvement here though, post 1.5.

--
Richard