Re: Computed _SOURCES

From: Richard Boulton
Subject: Re: Computed _SOURCES
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 13:37:41 +0100

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 01:12:50AM +0100, John Levon wrote:
> Is it at all possible to have a libblah_la_SOURCES that is partly
> composed of variables computed ?

It's possible to do simple substitutions, such as $(foo:a=b).  These will
work correctly if used in _SOURCES, computing the _OBJECTS appropriately.

Unfortunately, this will only allow you to perform substitutions on the end
of variable values.

It actually wouldn't be that hard to implement $(patsubst...) in automake,
and while doing that make it usable portable too.  Do people think this
would be worthwhile: if so, I'll throw together a patch sometime.

> Is this possible or must I repeat myself in the four Makefile.am's that
> could have _SOURCES computed from the canonical list ?

For now, rather than repeating yourself, consider writing the computed
values in a single file, and including it from each of the four
Makefile.am's.

--
Richard