Automake 1.5: Libtool requirement, dependency tracking

From: Ronald Landheer
Subject: Automake 1.5: Libtool requirement, dependency tracking
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 15:03:05 +0200

Hello all, (Dear Sir or Madam)

(Is this a list? If so, how can I subscribe?)

Anyways, here's the thing: I'm using Automake under Cygwin, and happily so for
a while now. I've just upgraded to Automake 1.5 and wanted to bootstrap one of
my projects, called Eleanor. Under the previous version of Automake, I never
had any problem with this, but under Automake 1.5, I seem to require Libtool
all of a sudden: it complains about not being able to find Libtoolize and
ltmain.sh.
I know and don't use Libtool - especially not for Eleanor, because the
libraries it includes are published, and I don't want the people that use the
(parts of) Eleanor to require Libtool. There are no macros in any of my
autotools files that pull in Libtools AFAIK, so I'd like to know what's wrong.

In any case, I have installed Libtool-1.4 (which runs OOTB on Cygwin - no
problem there) and can now bootstrap without any problem. It doesn't seem to be
building libtool libraries, so OK, but I can only build (using make, ofcourse)
when I use the -i switch for Autmake when bootstrapping - otherwise, make can't
find the dependency files - which is right, because they don't seem to exist.
Automake does pull in the depcomp program, but that apparently doesn't do the
job.

Here's the build sequence - for all clearity:
$ ./bootstrap
-- no problems here.. (unless Libtool is not installed)
$ ./configure
-- no problems here..
$ make
-- fails: .deps/*.Po not found.

I've included the autotools files below. I hope you can help :)

Thanx!

Ronald

NB: if this _is_ a list, I am evidently not a subscriber, so please Cc to me at
<address@hidden>.
NNB: I was redirected here from the Cygwin list, where I asked this question
first. I trust this is the right list/address, but if not, please redirect me
to the proper one..

-- BEGIN ~/eleanor/configure.ac --
# Process this file with autoconf to produce a configure script.
AC_INIT(Eleanor, 0.0.2, address@hidden)
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([swing/swing.c])
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(Eleanor, 0.0.2)
AM_CONFIG_HEADER([config.h])

# Checks for programs.
AC_PROG_AWK
AC_PROG_CC
AC_PROG_INSTALL
AC_PROG_LN_S
AC_PROG_RANLIB

# Checks for libraries.

# Checks for header files.
AC_HEADER_STDC
AC_CHECK_HEADERS([stdlib.h string.h strings.h unistd.h])

# Checks for typedefs, structures, and compiler characteristics.
AC_C_CONST
AC_C_INLINE
AC_TYPE_SIZE_T

# Checks for library functions.
AC_FUNC_MALLOC
AC_FUNC_MEMCMP
AC_FUNC_VPRINTF
AC_CHECK_FUNCS([atexit memchr memmove memset mkdir strchr strrchr strspn strstr
isalpha])
AC_REPLACE_FUNCS([memcmp rawclock fnmerge fnsplit])

AC_OUTPUT([makefile crc/makefile swing/makefile vgap/makefile vgapRaw/makefile])

--- END ~/eleanor/configure.ac ---
-- BEGIN ~/eleanor/Makefile.am --
EXTRA_DIST = bootstrap config.h.in todo

SUBDIRS = crc swing vgap vgapRaw

dist-hook:
        rm -f $(distdir)/vgap/hostData.c
        rm -f $(distdir)/vgap/filters.c
--- END ~/eleanor/Makefile.am ---
-- BEGIN ~/eleanor/crc/Makefile.am --
MAINTAINERCLEANFILES = Makefile.in

INCLUDES = -I$(top_builddir) -I$(top_srcdir)

crcincludedir = $(includedir)/crc

crcinclude_HEADERS = libCRC.h

lib_LIBRARIES = libCRC.a
libCRC_a_SOURCES = libCRC.c
--- END ~/eleanor/crc/Makefile.am ---
-- BEGIN ~/eleanor/swing/Makefile.am --
MAINTAINERCLEANFILES = Makefile.in
INCLUDES = -I$(top_builddir) -I$(top_srcdir)

swingincludedir = $(includedir)/swing
swinginclude_HEADERS = dateAndTime.h memIO.h userIO.h houseKeeping.h fileIO.h
strings.h dir.h
include_HEADERS = swing.h

lib_LIBRARIES = libSwing.a
libSwing_a_SOURCES = houseKeeping.c swing.c fileIO.c strings.c dateAndTime.c
memIO.c userIO.c
libSwing_a_LIBADD = @LIBOBJS@
--- END ~/eleanor/swing/Makefile.am ---
-- BEGIN ~/eleanor/vgap/Makefile.am --
MAINTAINERCLEANFILES = Makefile.in

INCLUDES = -I$(top_builddir) -I$(top_builddir)/swing -I$(top_builddir)/vgapRaw
-I$(top_srcdir)   -I$(top_srcdir)/swing   -I$(top_srcdir)/vgapRaw

vgapincludedir = $(includedir)/vgap
vpl3includedir = $(includedir)/vpl3
vgapinclude_HEADERS = globalVGAPInfo.h playerData.h sinCosTable.h
vpl3_internal.h compilers.h
include_HEADERS = vpl3.h

lib_LIBRARIES = libVGAP.a
libVGAP_a_SOURCES = globalVGAPInfo.c playerData.c vpl3_disp.c vpl3_readers.c
vpl3_getters.c vpl3_writers.c compilers.c vpl3_putters.c hostData.c filters.c

filters.c :
        ln -s $(top_srcdir)/vgapRaw/filters.c
hostData.c :
        ln -s $(top_srcdir)/vgapRaw/hostData.c
--- END ~/eleanor/vgap/Makefile.am ---
-- BEGIN ~/eleanor/vgapRaw/Makefile.am --
MAINTAINERCLEANFILES = Makefile.in

INCLUDES = -I$(top_builddir) -I$(top_srcdir) -I$(top_builddir)/vgap
-I$(top_srcdir)/vgap -I$(top_builddir)/swing -I$(top_srcdir)/swing

vgapRawincludedir = $(includedir)/vgapRaw
vpl3includedir = $(includedir)/vpl3
vgapRawinclude_HEADERS = filters.h
include_HEADERS = vgap.h

lib_LIBRARIES = libVGAPRaw.a
libVGAPRaw_a_SOURCES = filters.c hostData.c

--- END ~/eleanor/vgapRaw/Makefile.am ---

Thanx!

Ronald