Re: Automake 1.5: Libtool requirement, dependency tracking

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: Automake 1.5: Libtool requirement, dependency tracking
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 17:44:34 +0200

> (Is this a list? If so, how can I subscribe?)

(and http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/automake for the archives)

Note that there are 3 automake-related lists: automake
for general discussion, bug-automake for bug reports and
automake-patches for patches.

> not being able to find Libtoolize and ltmain.sh.
Hmmm - odd; I'd think it'd only do that if you had
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL in your configure.in/configure.ac.
I'm sure some of the automake gurus will be able to explain
this.

> make can't find the dependency files - which is right,
> because they don't seem to exist.
> Automake does pull in the depcomp program, but that
> apparently doesn't do the job.
It probably does do its job; it's just that configure
(well, config.status anyway) is supposed to create dummy
files first (so the 'include' in the Makefile works the
first time, before depcomp has run).

> Here's the build sequence - for all clearity:
> $ ./bootstrap
> -- no problems here.. (unless Libtool is not installed)
> $ ./configure
> -- no problems here..
This is the step that is supposed to do the depfile creation.
Does the bootstrap script properly run aclocal (without a -I
option pointing to a directory holding outdated automake
macro files)?