distcheck with specific configuration

From: mdejonge
Subject: distcheck with specific configuration
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 22:00:26 +0200

Hi there,

Until now it seems not possible to run gmake distcheck with additional
configuration switches. This requires that packages are completely
self-contained, or that they can locate required external packages during
configure. However, this is not always desirable or even possible. Furthermore,
sometimes one wants to perform a distcheck with extra compile time configuration
(to turn on debug information for example, or to enable/disable conditional
parts of a system).

For this reason it would be nice to be able to control the configuration during
gmake distcheck. I would suggest the following:

  Add the variable $(DISTCHECK_CONF) to the line containing
  configure in the distcheck target in distdir.am:

    && ../configure --srcdir=.. --prefix=$$dc_install_base $(DISTCHECK_CONF)\

One can now specify a particular configuration on the command line. For
instance:
   gmake distcheck DISTCHECK_CONF="--with-my-pkg=/opt/mypkg --with-debug"

Would this make any chance of being implemented in a future automake release.

Best regards,
Merijn de Jonge

--
Merijn de Jonge           email: address@hidden