setting debug info in automake

From: Kedrowski, Philip R.
Subject: setting debug info in automake
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:27:06 -0700

Hi,

I would like to know how to set the debugging info when compiling and
linking files using the autoconf and automake tools.  I have tried adding
the line:

CFLAGS = -g

in my Makefile.am and when I compile and link using make it shows up as:

gcc -g *.o etc

implying that the debugging info is being set, however when I try to debug
using the DDD graphical debugger I am not allowed to see the source code and
am given the message "no debugging info"

It seems like this should be a commonly used command, but I can't figure out
what I'm doing wrong.  Any detailed information would help.

Thanks,
Philip Kedrowski