non-libtool, cross-platform libraries

From: David Carter
Subject: non-libtool, cross-platform libraries
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:24:20 -0400

I need to build a non-libtool dynamically-loaded library, on windows and on HP/UX, from c++ sources.

This library needs to be built as "foo.dll" on windows, "foo.so" on HP/UX.

I don't think I can use libtool, since the resulting dll/so needs to be used by non-libtool-aware vendor software (iPlanet's webserver, to be precise).

My maintainer platform is Cygwin, just to make things a little more interesting. However, the windows dll is built with "-mno-cygwin", and linked against the mingw c++ std library.

I've stumbled over the naming of the primary to use. I can't use:

lib_LIBRARIES    = foo.dll
foo_dll_SOURCES    = foo.cpp

for example. And automake will not accept a variable in place of the "dll", so I can't use @DL_EXT@ or similar.

Any suggestions on how to do this within the automake/autoconf framework? I think it could be made to work using AM_CONDITIONAL, and repeating the entire lib_LIBRARIES for "foo.dll" & "foo.so", but that doesn't feel right.

Thanks,
David Carter
address@hidden