make check vs make installcheck

From: Simon Perkins
Subject: make check vs make installcheck
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 14:01:54 -0700

Hi,

Just belatedly trying to put some testing stuff into my code and I'm a little
confused about when 'make check' is supposed to be run.

As I'm currently understanding it, 'make check' is supposed to be run after
building but before installing. But what if your code won't run until it's
installed (e.g. it has scripts containing paths substituted in there by
configure that refer to the installation directories). This would seem to be
quite a common situation in fact.

I also notice that automake generates an 'installcheck' target, but it's not
described in the documentation. Is this the place to put tests for the installed
package? Or does it have some other internal purpose? How do I put a test for
the installed software into my makefiles?

Cheers,

Sy