newbie question regarding aclocal/automake

From: Ivica Bukvic
Subject: newbie question regarding aclocal/automake
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 18:18:04 -0500

Hi, I am a Linux OS user, and relatively adept in compiling source code
based programs. Recently, I ventured into CVS stuff and came across
autogen.sh stuff which is supposed to generate "./configure" file and thus
is needed for compilation (please correct me if I am wrong). When trying to
compile particular application, trying to use autogen.sh (without
aclocal --verbose) it results in the following:
>You should add the contents of '/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
'aclocal.m4'
How is this done? (this is btw probably something application specific, but
regardless, I'd appreciate it if someone had an idea how to deal with this
one)

>aclocal:configure.in: 90: macro 'AM_BUILD_ENVIRONMENT' not found in library
This second line prevents me from going further.

I am using the 1.4.2mdk version of automake (I am using Mandrake 8.1 with
2.4.8 kernel). I've seen that the newest one is up to 1.5, but before
bothering to compile new version of automake (none is available from the
mandrake cooker as of yet), I was wondering if someone could please answer
above-stated and following questions:

1) is this AM_BUILD_ENVIRONMENT problem an issue with my version of automake
or is this my machine's config problem?

2) If this is a config problem what do I need to do to fix it?

I've tried doing aclocal --verbose, and it spit out the same problem towards
the end of the list where it says "seen <bunch of stuff>"

Could please someone help me shed some light on this issue? Thank you very
much! Sincerely,

Ico Bukvic, composer & audio designer
http://ping.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/
address@hidden