failure in target_hook

From: Brian Minard
Subject: failure in target_hook
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 16:37:49 -0500

Hi,

Makefile.am contains the following lines.

  SUFFIXES = .text
  # Convert a text file into an object file usable by ld (doesn't
  # really use touch.
  .text.o:
          touch $<
  bin_PROGRAMS = program
  program_SOURCES  = program.c example.text

Automake 1.5a reports the following error message:

  Can't call method "target_hook" on an undefined value at
  /usr/local/bin/automake line 1896.

I get a similar message from Automake 1.4j, but not from 1.4d.  (I ran
into other problems trying to get 1.4f to work and didn't pursue it.)

If I change ".o" to, say ".c", automake 1.5a doesn't complain
anymore.

Is the problem with automake, or do I need additional makefile rules
(such as .text->.c->.o)?

Thanks,
Brian