Re: Automake is broken

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: Automake is broken
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 17:29:06 -0800

Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

>  Bruce> What is the brokenness you are talking about?  It is
>  Bruce> simply that you have failed to add to
>  Bruce> MAINTAINERCLEANFILES the name of a derived file.

It's not MAINTAINERCLEANFILES at all!  It's CONFIG_CLEAN_FILES.
I found most of the non-removed files in the MCF, but they
were still around.  I finally read Makefile source until I
found the problem.  Now I really don't know what to do.  There
are MCF files that are not CCF, so "make distclean-generic"
should not be removing them.  The problem in a nutshell:

1.  The distribution includes generated files.  These files can
    be generated by the distributed product, but not on a
    generic system without the product installed.  Therefore,
    they must be distributed.

2.  Distributed sources should not be removed by "distclean".

3.  Once the product is built, it can and does rebuild the
    distributed generated files.  They get built in the
    build directory.

4.  ``make distcheck'' presumes that all derived files should
    be removed by ``make distclean'' because it presumes that
    no derived files are also distributed.

Now what?  :-(