Automake and 'make install' issues

From: Daniel S Rabinovitz
Subject: Automake and 'make install' issues
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:14:36 -0600

Hi all.  I'm using automake and autoconf on a small project to build a .so
library on Linux.  I am not using libtool to build this.  Building works
correctly, but installation does not.  When I type 'make install', i get
the following error:

/bin/sh ../mkinstalldirs /usr/lib
 @LIBTOOL@  --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c  libica.so
/usr/lib/libica.so
/bin/sh: @LIBTOOL@: command not found

Then a whole bunch of errors

Why does this happen?  And how can i get rid of LIBTOOL altogether in this
project?

I have another project I'm using automake and autoconf with also, and
looking at the Makefile.ins for both projects, the project that works has

echo "  $(INSTALL_PROGRAM) $$p $(DESTDIR)$(bindir)...

whereas my broken project has:

echo " $(LIBTOOL)  --mode=install $(INSTALL_PROGRAM) $$p $(DESTDIR)
$(bindir)

How can I get rid of the LIBTOOL in the latter case?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Rabinovitz
address@hidden