Re: Extending automake syntax

From: Erik Walthinsen
Subject: Re: Extending automake syntax
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 23:40:21 -0800 (PST)

On 31 Dec 2001, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Erik> lib_SLLIBRARIES = libaverage.sl
>
> Erik> libaverage_sl_SOURCES =         \
> Erik>         average_c.c             \
> Erik>         average_mmx.c           \
> Erik>         average_sse.c           \
> Erik>         average_altivec.c
>
> You can't accomplish what you want without hacking automake itself.
> It seems like something specific to your project.  Is that the case?

Yup.  Well, sorta.  "SpeciaLib" is a library and a set of tools for
creating specializable libraries.  As such, these modified Makefiles would
exist in any library that uses SpeciaLib to construct itself (the tools do
things like generate headers and structures used in run-time
specialization).  I've thought of writing a tool that would conveniently
be called 'specialize' that would be a cross between libtoolize and
automake, creating Makefile.am's from Makefile.sl's (or whatever I call
them), but that means a significant amount of work in properly
interpreting the Makefile.am-isms...

Any chance automake will move towards being more externally customizable?

      Erik Walthinsen <address@hidden> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_