Re: make check vs make installcheck

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: make check vs make installcheck
Date: 03 Jan 2002 15:00:16 +0100

>>>>> "Tom" == Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:
>>>>> "Simon" == Simon Perkins <address@hidden> writes:

Simon> I also notice that automake generates an 'installcheck' target,
Simon> but it's not described in the documentation.

Tom> Automake's user docs are nonexistent :-(.  This is described in
Tom> the GNU Coding Standards.  Really it would be nice if we had a
Tom> separate document that explained the standard targets to the
Tom> user.  People could distribute this in their packages.

how about a target `help' which depends on installcheck-help etc.

Tom> installcheck is still a bit bare.  Not many people use it.

I am recommending its use in some writings.  As below:

   # Run the test suite on the *installed* tree.
   installcheck-local:
           $(SHELL) $(TESTSUITE) AUTOTEST_PATH=$(exec_prefix)/bin