Re: Recreate depfiles when regenerating Makefiles

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Recreate depfiles when regenerating Makefiles
Date: 06 Jan 2002 13:48:20 -0700

>>>>> "Hari" == Raja R Harinath <address@hidden> writes:

Hari> Akim once suggested adding a facility to hook commands to files
Hari> listed in AC_CONFIG_FILES.

The problem with this idea is that the information about which files
is known when automake is run, not when autoconf is run.

Hari> Anyway, till that date, it may make sense to handle this somewhat
Hari> hackily.  One issue with generating the above command is that it is
Hari> safe to invoke the 'depfiles' CONFIG_COMMAND only in some cases, and
Hari> at the time 'automake' emits the Makefile regeneration code, it
Hari> doesn't know if it's safe yet.  So, here goes:

I think it is always safe to run the depfiles command.  The command
itself looks to see if the file it is modifying is an automake output.
So I think it is ok to simply always run the `depfiles' rule.  I'm
going to check in a modified version of this patch.

Tom