automake datadir files location and versioning

From: Jens Petersen
Subject: automake datadir files location and versioning
Date: 21 Jan 2002 18:30:42 +0900

While the recent versioning of automake is a good thing, I
guess it introduces some issues with backward compatibility.
For example quite a few packages/people assume that
config.{guess,sub} are located in /usr/share/automake (not
/usr/share/automake-<apiversion>).  With the introduction of
versioning they will no longer be able to find those files.

While I know that there is better and official way for
packages to get those files (automake -a), any thoughts on
this issue?

Should there be symlinks /usr/share/automake/config.sub ->
../automake-1.5/config.sub or is there a nicer way of
handling this issue?  Or do we just disown support for such
legacy packages?

Jens