Re: automake datadir files location and versioning

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: automake datadir files location and versioning
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:18:03 +0100

>>> "Ralf" == Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden> writes:

 Ralf> Am Die, 2002-01-22 um 18.34 schrieb Tom Tromey:
> [...]
 Ralf> automake -a -f -c
 Ralf> [Don't use symlinks at all]

 >> Maybe, going forward, we should just always copy these files?
 Ralf> Hmm, why not?

My opinion is that -f should be the default.  Otherwise people
will shoot in their foot when reconfiguring their packages
with another Automake version.

This is independant of the copy-or-link choice.

 >> I.e., never symlink?  Thoughts?
 Ralf> Let me rephrase your question: What was the reason to consider using
 Ralf> symlinks at all? I hardly see any.

When /usr/share/automake/config.{sub,guess} is updated, you
don't need to rerun automake in all your packages.
(For instance, under Debian these files come from a separate
package which is updated more often than Automake is).
The same could apply to other files as well.

[...]

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz